Metcalfe County Public Library was organized under the WPA in 1938, and operated under their supervision until the WPA became a legend.
In 1942, the Women's Club of Edmonton opened the library. Lasca Martin began serving as librarian and the Board of Education furnished a place, heat, lights, and janitor service.
The library moved from the basement of the Board of Education building to the Old Farmer's & Merchant building. It remained there until 1965 when the building was sold. The library was then located in the Edmonton Hardware Store.
In 1967, the local Jaycees campaigned for a library building. Also in 1967, the library board met to discuss a need for a new building. On December 6, 1970, a dedication ceremony was held for the new facility. December 6 was declared "Lasca Martin Day."
The Metcalfe County Public Library opened in a newly renovated facility in October 2003 with a ribbon cutting on November 9, 2003. A 2,400 foot addition was added to make the total square 7,378. The project was funded by a grant from the Kentucky Department for Libraries and Archives.
The first bookmobile was a gift from the The Courier-Journal and The Louisville Times to the state for Metcalfe County. The first bookmobile librarian was Maxine Ray. Others to date have been Ester DeVore, Mary Smith, and June Huffman. Lasca Martin was librarian for 36 years. She died August 2, 1982. Other librarians have been Denise Minor and Rhonda Glass.
Metcalfe county public library
200 S Main Street PO Box 626 Edmonton, KY 42129 (270)432-4981 email@example.com